Monday, July 1, 2013

Weekend Coincidences

This was a weekend of weird things, as you know if you read the mold post. (Yuck.) But, some other odd things occurred that were not so bad as that incident. 

On Sunday, we took over leading the high school age group during Sunday School since the regular leaders were out of town. We'd meant to bring donuts for everyone but forgot, but since we were at church early enough, I went to get donuts from the grocery store a few blocks away. Just before turning off a residential street to come up behind the grocery, I saw another block down that there were a bunch of bikes with "For Sale" signs on them sitting outside a house. These weren't just regular bikes, either. They looked like they had shopping carts attached. I really wanted to check them out, so Matt and I drove by on our way home from church. 

I didn't get a picture of the bikes, but I'll try to get one in the future and add it to this post, because they were really neat. Basically, all the bikes had been modified so that they had one wheel in the back and two wheels in the front, between which was mounted the cart part of a shopping cart. The bikes were really nice bikes and the carts were painted red, white, and blue. I immediately thought how spoiled Llyr would be riding around in that. Plus I could get groceries or take picnics to the park in it. The man selling them wanted us to take a ride, but we were in church clothes and I had somewhere to go later, but we promised to come back another time and try one out. Instead, we spent some time talking to the man. Long story summed up: he has a patent and is trying to start a website but had had trouble when other people tried to set it up for him. Matt offered to help, since he's worked with that stuff, and the man gave him his card. Matt read his name and said, "So you are ______? You wouldn't by chance know my grandpa, ________?" Everyone knew Matt's grandpa. He was involved in a TON of stuff around town. So, of course this guy knew him and then they talked even more about funny stories and what a cool guy he was, and how Matt had heard about this man and his family. We ended the conversation with the promise to check the bikes out again and for Matt to try to help him set up a website so he could advertise. We may not necessarily buy a bike because we don't have a lot of room to store it, but I'm excited to try one out.

So, that was an odd coincidence, but it wasn't the only crazy thing to happen on Sunday. That evening, we met some friends at an ice cream social at a little church in a small rural town about 15 miles from where we live. They had hot dogs, ice cream and dessert, a quilt auction, and bingo. We've went there several times. This year we had delicious ice cream, cherry pie, and German chocolate pie. Mmm. Then it was bingo time. As we were eating, one of our friends told us that there was a little moose statue as one of the bingo prizes. I collect moose things - not avidly, but when I see something neat that is moose related, I'll often get it. I have some stuffed animals, figurines, and a cool "Moose Drool" beer tap. So, I was somewhat interested in this. However, you do not get to pick your prize in this bingo game. You just play and draw a number for your prize, so you can't really know if you'll get the prize you really want. There were some other neat prizes, too, though, so we got ready to play.

Bingo cards were $0.25 each. I bought two, one for me and Matt. We played one round and didn't win. He said the next time I should get several cards and we'd play one or two at a time but wouldn't have to get up for a while to get more. So I got about 8 and we set up for round two.

On our second game, Matt marked his free space. Then the announcer started calling numbers. Matt marked all 5 of the first 5 numbers called, 4 of which were in a row with the free space. BINGO! We won, and super fast! I was so excited! I went up to show the card, but I wanted Matt to draw the prize number, since technically he won. He pulled out #9. Guess what prize was #9?



We just couldn't believe it. We won, on the second game, with practically each number called in a row, the prize we'd most appreciate! Matt wouldn't play any more, saying he thought his luck was all out now. I played about 7 more games and didn't win any more, but that's ok. We had a fun time at the ice cream social, and the crazy win of Mr. Moose topped off the day of coincidences!

No comments:

Post a Comment